Ad Age ruined my week - Week 22 NewsletterJun 14, 2021
It wasn't there coverage of Apple's changes (which we need to talk about), but this email subject line:
Are you an eligible candidate for Ad Age 40 Under 40?
I really didn't need that Ad Age. Thanks a lot.
Supporting the TD Foundation Update: We've got your Six - Over $1,000 to be donated!
Anything you spend on the Beeler.Tech merch shop in June goes to the TD Foundation. That includes Beeler.Pride merch:
No one ever asks me, but I still want to say this: the Beeler.Tech is just for fun. Do I really think you want to wear my name on your clothing. NO. Do I think we can have fun with the Beeler.Tech brand and at the same time raise money for charity? WHY NOT? Have a fun idea or don't see something you want? Tell me!
Inside the Decision - Selecting a Monetization Platform - June 15th @ 12pm ET - Register Now!
A monetization platform should be measured by more than programmatic CPMs. Let's discuss what a true monetization platform looks like.
I organize discussions in my sleep so it is rare that I do a prep call where my basic thesis is completely rejected. I wanted to explore the tradeoffs related to serving ads. My panelists weren't having it.
They see no reason why your ad code has to slow down your site, create viewability issues, etc. No reason to have self-interested partners determine your revenue potential and no reason to have to build it all in-house. So now I'm rewriting my questions to focus more on what success looks like vs what it should be. Join me on Tuesday at Noon ET for this discussion with:
- Lori Tavoularis, CRO/ EVP, Revenue Operations, Digital at Nextstar Media
- CJ Jacobs, Head of Product & Technology at MediaNews Group
- Gary Smith, Vice President Advertising at The Seattle Times
- Jason Tollestrup, Vice President, Programmatic Strategy and Yield at The Washington Post
- Jeff Turner, Director, Head of Commercial Product at The Washington Post
It's going to be a good one. At this event, which will be livestreamed from Washington, D.C., the best and brightest programmatic media experts will explain how the right monetization platform can dramatically transform a publisher’s entire digital ecosystem. This will be a publisher only event. Register Today!
Partners: Week 22 of In View has been posted. Log in to Beeler.Tech to see.
(reply if you want to know what "In View" means)
Beta Products For Publishers
Heavy Ad Intervention Monitoring: beta tool that integrates with your google analytics account. This will assist in the monitoring of blocked ads by Google. By GeoEdge. Contact us to learn more details.
Beta Test an Ad Ops Chrome extension: https://hashtag-labs.com/debug.html It's Hashtag Labs ads extension for analyzing Google ad configuration, Prebid, HTLBID, and consent management (CMP) (You don't need to be a Hashtag Labs client to use it). I checked it out and it's looks like it might help the next time I need to troubleshoot an ad slot. They encourage feedback on features - email [email protected]. You need to sign up with the email they are logged into Chrome with since it’s a private chrome extension and access is provided by whitelisting email addresses. Anyone can sign up, just have to use the email address you are signed into Chrome with.
Slack Convos with Publishers on Beeler.Tech
- Apple News
- IAS and DV on the same site?
- Video encoding specs
- Google ActiveView
If you're a publisher, it's not too late to join the conversation. DM for details! Note: partners get a summary of these discussions. Become a partner.
Giving credit where credit is due: Great Content We Liked this Week
Automatad has been pumping out content:
- Project Rearc – Everything You Need to Know now added to Identity Central Glossary
- What Is An Identity Graph and Why Do You Need One? now added to Identity Central Glossary
- The Ultimate Guide To Unified ID 2.0 now added to Identity Central Players in the Space
- What Is NewsPassID and How Does It Help Local News Publishers? now added to Identity Central Glossary
- Paul Bannister – gamer turned prophet for the publisher (podcast)
- My Experience as a Woman in the Ad Ops Industry <- Lila Hunt wrote this!
- Ad Ops All Stars: Scott Messer, Leaf Group (podcast)
- Some changes to our ad technology - Google post
- Study: 89 Percent Of Networking Nonconsensual <---The Onion helps get you ready for getting back IRL
- Publishers Navigate the Weight of Heavy Ad Intervention (HAI) <- AdBeeler article - note the GeoEdge offer at the bottom!
- CMA to have key oversight role over Google’s planned removal of third-party cookies <--- I don't know what this means. Looking to learn more.
Beeler.Tech Virtual Happy Hour - the one with "New Jersey Onsies" (onsies without sleeves)
Just a typical happy hour: America's Funniest Home Videos comes to the happy hour!
Registration is open for Q2 dates. Yes, we're still going!
Word of the week: poignant <- but only if you mispronouce it.
Events coming up
(all times ET unless otherwise noted)
- June 14 at 3:00 PM: Straight talk : The key to successful sales leadership - Marco Bertozzi from Spotify!
- June 14 at 5:30 PM: Prohaska Happy Hour - Pittsburgh
- June 15 at 12:00 PM: Inside the Decision - Selecting a Monetization Platform Beeler.Tech event
- June 15 at 1:00 PM: Programmatic Insights With Buzzfeed & Disney
- June 15 at 4:00 PM: AdOps Boost Weekly Training Session: Google Data Studio - Level 2
- June 15 at 5:30 PM: Prohaska Happy Hour - Miami
- June 16 at 11:30 AM: Prebid Identity Initiatives
- June 18 at 4:00 PM: Beeler.Tech Weekly Virtual Happy Hour
- June 22 at 12:00 PM: Partners Not Vendors - Adding Real Value to Publishers <- check out the various companies presenting
- June 22 at 5:00 PM: Prohaska Happy Hour - New York
- June 22 at 6:00 PM: Ad Tech & Ad Ops Happy Hour @ Shake Shack in the Park! - NYC IRL is back!
- June 28: 10th Annual Online Video Open Golf Outing - TD Foundation event!
- June 28 at 5:00 PM: 2021 Silicon Alley Tennis Invitational
- June 30 at 1:00 PM: Identity Is a Team Sport: How Publishers & Marketers Can Move Beyond the Cookie Together - AdMonsters webinar!
- July 14 at 10:00 AM: The Great Privacy Reset
- July 15: Digiday Publisher Golf Outing
- August 22-25: AdMonsters Pub Forum Vail. Talk to me. Who's going?
Whispers of Jobs not listed yet.
(jobs/gigs that we don't have a link for but know are out there. - email us for details)
- Just got this email: " Sr / Director of Sales: Know anyone that's looking for a new gig at the Sr individual contributor level? I know someone that's looking to hire."
- "I am having a difficult time recruiting for media planning positions and just wanted to put the word out if you hear of anyone looking."
Job Listings - Let's get these jobs filled!
- Specialist, Digital Ad Operations - Learfield IMG College - Plano, TX
- Full Stack Developer, Ad Tech - Learfield IMG College - Plano, TX
- Ad Ops Analyst - G/O Media - New York, NY
- Director, Ad Tech - TIME - Remote
- Ad Operations Manager - Crain - Detroit, Chicago, Work from home Michigan
- Ad Operations and Yield Associate - Maple Media - Los Angeles, CA
- Programmatic & Yield Ad Operations Specialist - The Knot Worldwide - New York, NY
- Manager, Sales Development - The Knot Worldwide - New York, NY
- Coordinator, Sales Development - The Knot Worldwide - New York, NY
- Team Lead, Account Management - The Knot Worldwide - New York, NY
- Sales Planner - The New York Times - London, England
Job Seekers – help them find their next big break!
If you are actively looking for a new gig, we should have you in our job seekers section! But for those of you just thinking about your next move, the job seeker’s post allows you to gather and share your thoughts on what you want your next move to be. It can open up conversations and help you get a feel for the market. Take a look at the postings, write something up and send it to us. Nicholas will find you a snazzy graphic, post your description to the site and then promote on social. Let us help you!
Job Seeker #51: New York based ad ops and data analytics specialist of eight years, open to remote work opportunities, full time or contract. Wharton School alum and frequent commenter on /r/adops, has been working in the header bidding display space on the publisher monetization side of the industry, in roles requiring project management, trafficking, data analysis and yield management. Looking for a new role that looks to innovate on the bleeding edge of programmatic advertising, be it through data wrangling in reporting and finding new insights hidden in databases and spreadsheets, or optimizing and improving processes driven by rigorous testing, or working with product teams to tweak the auction for maximum yield. Especially interested in the world of programmatic audio and podcast advertising. Cares as much about the strength of the technology and the theory behind your product offering as much as the value proposition to clients. Prefers leaner teams on the publisher side with a startup attitude and with a healthy respect for numbers and data-driven decision making.
If you are looking to fill an open role, review our job seekers, we may have the perfect person for you. Send us a note and we’ll make the introduction!
Why isn't June Black History Month?
Instead of Black History Month being related to the birth of Abraham Lincoln, shouldn't it coincide with Juneteenth and the Tulsa Race Massacre (which was May 31st, but did span into June 1st)? Seems to me those events tell more about black history than when someone was born....
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.